  • Subject: Re: asdbget
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:50:21 -0500

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 08:56:03AM -0600, Dan Hrabarchuk wrote:
> Yes, and yes. I only get that message if I try to download an existing file.
> Otherwise I get the usual error message. It appears to process the file for
> a while then stops giving the error message. It message is definetly from
> asdbget and not from the AS/400 (it gives an error code as well IE "550 Ne
> se ha encontrado la biblioteca RPG01" when the libraby doesn't exist). The
> file is an DBCS file. This file I gave in the example had about 450 records
> in it. When I try to get a much smaller file (6 records) I get the following
> error:
>
> asdbget: while trying to retreive 'QTEMP/KEYS'.
> 200 Representation type is binary IMAGE

This is a syncronization issue and has to do with different versions of
operating systems having differing formats for DSPFFD/DSPFD output with
different record lengths.  I'm investigating the STRU (structure) FTP command,
and some FTP RFCs; the STRU command on an AS/400 allows you to set the
transfer mode to 'F' (FILE) or 'R' (RECORD), so I'm hoping there's some sort
of record deliniation this way.

You might want to do the following on the AS/400, as this will help me come
to a conclusion regarding this:

DSPFFD FILE(SOME/FILE) OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) OUTFILE(QTEMP/FIELDS)
DSPFFD FILE(QTEMP/FIELDS)

Look at the report and see if you can find a way to get me that report in
ASCII.  (print to a file maybe?  Printing support should now work :)

Then
DSPFD FILE(QTEMP/FIELDS)

Look at that report and see if you can find a way to get me that report in
ASCII.

Oh, and version and release of the TCP/IP stack, as reported by the FTP
'system' command:

[jasonf@nccr-cle-c src]$ ftp 192.168.2.5
Connected to 192.168.2.5.
220-QTCP at 192.168.2.5.
220 Connection will close if idle more than 5 minutes.
Name (192.168.2.5:jasonf): QSECOFR
331 Enter password.
Password:
230 QSECOFR logged on.
Remote system type is .
ftp> syst
215  OS/400 is the remote operating system. The TCP/IP version is "V4R3M0".
ftp> bye
221 QUIT subcommand received.
[jasonf@nccr-cle-c src]$

(Yeah, yeah, I should really make myself another AS/400 account :)

> It did not output the file. I also tried the transfer with a supervisor
> account, it made no difference, I got the same error messages.
>
> I can download the files in the meantime using FTP, but in what format is
> the downloaded file? I'm assuming it follows the definition defined on the
> AS/400, but is there headers and the like as well?

Nope, that's the whole point behind asdbget... it uses the RCMD factility
of the AS/400 FTP server to produce reports on the file format then
translates the file accordingly.

> As you can see I'm just a Linux bum and know little of the AS/400 so any
> help is GREATLY appeciated.
>
> Thanks

This error message is probably the result of a perror() call after a failed
malloc().  Maybe it thinks the record length is -1 or something.