  • Subject: Keep up the good work!
  • From: Jeff Volckaert <jvolckaert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:14:12 -0500

I would also like to add a "Keep up the good work".  I've been using TN5250 for
probably at least a year now and am VERY happy with it.  TN5250, LICQ, & XMMS
have
enabled me to stay booted in Linux about 99% of the time now.  Except for doing
memo now and then and doing AS/400 Transfers to excel files.  Stability is
incredible.  Win95 would crash 5 times a day, thank you very much Microsoft and
IBM
(client access).

Here at Bell Memorial Hospital we have two other Linux+TN5250 boxes being used
by
barely-able-to-find-the-power-switch users without trouble.  Our main Admitting
registration box uses TN5250 and Qpage which let's them page all of our
alpha-numeric
pagers from a LYNX screen (Alt-F2) or register patients with TN5250 (Alt-F1).
It's
also running Qpage under apache so anyone on our network can http to Admitting
and
page without bothering admitting like they used to.  We are also moving our
Policies
& Procedures from hard copy to the Admitting Apache server.

Our other TN5250 box is in Dietary and replaced an IBM Thin Client.  Besides
TN5250,
it uses LPD to do printing from the AS/400 to a Canon 4300.  I might mention
here
that the Canon 4xxx series is the only inkjet printer I have found which will do
decent printing from the AS400 (mainly due to it's epson emulation).  The new
Canons
don't work and HPs give me grief.  Both of the TN5250 machines are 486
hand-me-downs
running redhat 6.1 and cost us $0.00 in hardware or software.  The Dietary
machine is
running on a 250M harddrive with 82% used.  In fact I have a bunch of other 250M
harddrives I copied the Dietary setup to for future TN5250 boxes, just change
the IP
and named session.  I may be replacing a bunch of Dos+packet driver+remapped
NCSA
386s with TN5250 486s in the near future in our Medical Records Dept.  I'm sure
they
will love the colored screens.

So again I say "Keep up the good work", it has made a big difference in my life.
Named sessions are a big plus.  My only complaint is the keyboard mapping of
field
exit.

Jeff Volckaert