  • Subject: GPLed Linux-SNA
  • From: Seth Cohn <scohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:34:28 -0800 (PST)

I quote from the press release (found via Linux Today)
http://www.newsalert.com/bin/story?StoryId=CofCGubKbyteXndC&FQ=Linux&Nav=na-search-&StoryTitle=Linux

The software is nowhere to be found (not at the URL below)

Could someone write to Turbolinux and find out where the gpled code
is?  Sounds like something tn5250 could really use.  Imagine an SNA
enabled box that runs 5250 emulation.

---------

December 15, 1999 08:28

TurboLinux Releases Linux-SNA Connectivity Software to Open Source;
Technology Pushes Linux into High-End
Enterprise Market

Jump to first matched term

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 15, 1999--TurboLinux, the high
performance Linux company, today announced it was releasing to the open
source community
key technology for connecting Linux to IBM mainframe legacy systems.

"TurboLinux is committed to Open Source and developing new technologies
that take Linux into the enterprise," said Cliff Miller, CEO of
TurboLinux. "We're building upon
our leadership in Linux clustering and integrating Linux into legacy
computer systems to protect our customers' IT investments."

The Linux-SNA technology, released under the GNU Public License, is
available from the TurboLinux web site with more information at
www.turbolinux.com/partners.

Linux-SNA, currently under development on the 2.3.21 Linux kernel, allows
SNA mainframe networks to communicate with TCP/IP networks. It can be used
as an SNA
client or server with complete graphical integration from installation to
server management. It is fully compatible with Microsoft SNA Server and
IBM Communications
Server.

It includes a new low level LLC layer, new Token Ring drivers, ESCON and
Bus/Tag channel support, advanced API support for SNA, high performance
routing, and runs on
Intel architecture hardware.

Jay Schulist, the original developer of the Linux-SNA technology, recently
joined TurboLinux. Schulist, active in Open Source as a key contributor
for Linux drivers and
networking layers, is the most recent addition to the TurboLinux team of
leading Open Source developers, including John Terpstra, a co-founder of
the Samba project.

About TurboLinux

TurboLinux, the fastest growing Linux company in the world, is backed by
investment from Intel Corp., August Capital and Broadview International
LLC. Founded in 1992,
TurboLinux has shipped more than three million units of Linux globally and
is the Pacific Rim's leading vendor with a market share of more than 50
percent. TurboLinux
offers the only Linux software clustering solution and the only version of
Linux designed for the "double byte" character sets of the Japanese and
Chinese alphabet as well
as European languages. The company's high-performance consumer and
business Linux products are designed for Intel workstation and server
platforms and supported
globally by IBM and Hewlett-Packard. Headquartered in San Francisco,
TurboLinux has offices in Tokyo, Beijing and Sydney. The company's home
page is located on the
Internet at www.turbolinux.com, in Japanese at www.turbolinux.co.jp and in
Chinese at www.turbolinux.com.cn.

All trademarks are the properties of their respective companies.

     CONTACT: TurboLinux
              Lonn Johnston, 650/244-7777
              lonn@turbolinux.com
              or