  • Subject: Re: Reaching AS/400 over telnet and tn5250
  • From: "Scott Klement" <infosys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 23 Nov 1999 09:55:35 -0600

Hi,
     The big advantage to SecureCRT is that you can do SSH into the
Linux box, and then from there telnet into the AS/400, to help protect
yourself against packet sniffing attacks.

SecureCRT allows you to assign macros to the 24 function keys, so you
can set them to be Ctrl-G 1, Ctrl-G 2, etc, so that they'll work okay
with the AS/400.

If you don't need the SSH connection, you can presumably use CRT
instead of SecureCRT...

So that solves the function key issue, however, the other "special"
keys on the AS/400 (PrintScreen, SysReq, Attn, Field+, Field-, etc)
are a somewhat larger problem... and one that I don't have an answer
for...

Your best bet is to get an actual 5250 terminal emulator for Windows,
and piggyback it through SecureCRT's SSH port forwarding.  This'll
give you the SSH security with true 5250 emulation...

HTH...