  • Subject: Re: Numeric fields bug
  • From: "Scott Klement" <infosys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 25 Oct 1999 16:42:20 -0500

Hmmm...  I don't think the operating system does anything that needs
a signed field like this...

Why don't you just create yourself a simple program on the AS/400 that
lets you test these things?

I don't know how familiar you are with doing this, so I'll give you
step by step instructions for a program that just puts one simple
signed numeric field on the screen, and lets you edit it...

1. Create a temporary source file:
        CRTSRCPF FILE(QTEMP/SOURCE) RCDLEN(112)

2. Create a source member for your display file:
        STRSEU SRCFILE(QTEMP/SOURCE) SRCMBR(TESTDSPF) TYPE(DSPF)

3. Put the following lines in the source member:
         1         2         3         4         5         6
12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012
(just put these 3 lines, what cols they're in is significant:)
     A                                      DSPSIZ(24 80 *DS3)
     A          R TEST1
     A            TESTFLD        5  0B  4  4

4. Press F3, then ENTER to save your new source member.

5. Compile your source member with:
     CRTDSPF FILE(qtemp/testdspf) SRCFILE(qtemp/source)

6. Create another source member to contain the program that
   uses the display file:
    STRSEU SRCFILE(QTEMP/SOURCE) SRCMBR(TESTPGM) TYPE(CLP)

7. Add the following source statements:
PGM
     DCLF FILE(TESTDSPF)
     SNDRCVF
ENDPGM

8.  Press F3, then ENTER to save your new member...

9.  Compile your program:
     CRTCLPGM PGM(QTEMP/TESTPGM) SRCFILE(QTEMP/SOURCE)

10. Run it:
     CALL QTEMP/TESTPGM

QTEMP is a temporary library thats different for every job.  When
you sign on, a QTEMP is made for you, and when you sign off, its
deleted.   I used it in this example to make sure you dont
accidentally interfere with something else on the system, but you
may desire to use a different library if you intend to save your
work :)

If you can't get it to work, let me know...