  • Subject: Re: 0.14.0 - Almost there ;)
  • From: Carey Evans <c.evans@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 07 Oct 1999 22:30:49 +1300

mmadore <mmadore@blarg.net> writes:

> I think this looks like a good plan.  I would like to flesh out the
> printer support before we officially call it 1.0, though.  Speaking of
> printer support, I was wondering if it might be a good idea to break the
> printer session out into it's own executable.  Maybe make it a daemon like
> lpd.  Then we can have command line and graphical tools to start, stop
> manipulate the queue, etc.

I'd been thinking this would be a better way to do it myself.  Some
advantages I see would be:

 * It really does a very different thing from the user's perspective,
   even if the back end is similar.

 * We don't get two set of options of the command line; "lp5250" or
   whatever it gets called should have switches for all the printer
   options that can be set, but tn5250 doesn't need to get cluttered
   up with them.

 * The separation makes the difference (or even its existence) more
   obvious, and might encourage more work on it specifically.

I've got a few wishlist features for the print driver, like making it
talk directly to parallel or serial printers, and pass back
indications like out-of-paper immediately.  ("Operator action
required" and "Press Ready, Start or Start/Stop" are two messages I'm
very familiar with.)

               "This is where your sanity gives in..."