On Monday 02 May 2005 16:46, JRB Technology wrote:
> I would say IBM supports RedHat more then SUSE.

Hi Jim

Might still be true in the States, but IBM now are very supportive of SUSE
(having paid $50M to Novell when they bought SUSE). In the UK iSeries press
SUSE certainly seem to get more coverage.

> Their Linux/ODBC Drivers are for RedHat........

The drivers are in RPM format, but they install on SUSE just fine - as both
distributions use .rpm files for installation.

> RedHat is more widely supported as well.

Again, that might still be true in the States, but all the BPs I've spoken
to about iSeries Linux all recommend SUSE. In fact the BP we bought our
iSeries from are a RedHat authorised dealer, but now advocate SUSE for
their clients. I'm not sure why there seems to be a swing to SUSE, though
from when I looked, SUSE's prices and support packages appeared quite a bit
cheaper than RedHat.

We have SUSE's SLES 9 running on a 1 CPU LPAR on our i825, but it's just R&D
at present. We were planning to trial WAS on there, to compare it to the
native OS/400 server, but as it turned out we went for the OS/400 version
anyway. I'm much more familiar with Debian (and derivatives, like Ubuntu)
but they are more tricky to install (though there are folk running Debian
on iSeries) and don't have the cosy support factor that RedHat/SUSE do.

Regards, Martin
--
martin@xxxxxxxxxx  AIM/Gaim: DBG400dotNet  http://www.dbg400.net   /"\
DBG/400 - AS/400 & iSeries Open Source/Free Software utilities     \ /