<David>
OK, there are limitations.

But ProgramCall object don't allow return values either.

PCML can do everything a ProgramCall can do (because ProgramCallDocument wraps ProgramCall) but is easier for non-IBM i developers to use, because they just set & get values using a structured naming scheme.

As a developer familiar with IBM i, I find PCML calls to be much easier to understand ... I don't have to be aware of all the parameter sizes & positions, I just define the PCML document once (or, even better, let the compiler generate it for me), load the document, set the variables, and make the call.
</David>

David,

ProgrammCall, doesn't allow return values, that's true, but SRVPGMS (and DDLs) too) have return parms and so you would have diffrent ways to call a PGM and a SRVPGM. Thinling in java, you would use some beans (aka Pojos) to wrap structures. I prefern (and recommand) to encapsulate these structure as parms in objects looking from one side as Pojos and from the other side as a DS (I call this Pords2Pojo = PlainOldDataStructure to PlainOldJavaObject). I'm using this frequently in ArdGate to seperate the RPG looking code from Javacode.

Dieter

@Pete: what about your eMail adress?