Jay,

I've read through the posts, but still not sure what your goals are.
My experience has been probably very different than others on the list. I
had to learn java not to run on Power I, but to support Java EE application
in a Websphere and Aix on Power systems.
I took several of the Udemy courses to get the mechanics of how java classes
are built, how parms are passed, sql calls, read/calc/write data - really
the mechanics of how an application works.
Also read the Java for RPG Programmers in a weekend.
All the code is either in the Eclipse IDE or simple stuff in Notepad++. We
do use GIT to help manage it.
As a RPG developer since '80 it was a challenge, but you will recognize the
basic flow of logic. .
If your goal is to learn starting with small stuff, maybe a simple jsp
screen to let users upload updates to files via Excel. Google will be your
friend, and get used to Stackoverflow site. Lots of open source stuff you
can include.
I do 90% bug fixes and fixing existing code much easier than application
building.
The Enterprise Java and EJBs adds more complexity - our application is built
on that foundation - lots of code you really have trouble seeing.
Some very weird rules (to someone from the RPG world) about data types - you
want an editor that provides help & suggestions (like Eclipse).
I do still work some on Power i.

Jim Franz