After further playing around without a lot of success, I decided to step back from 3.16 to 3.6 to see if maybe something changed that was causing my issues. I got it to work with 3.6 but I was unsuccessful with 3.16. If I decide to continue fighting with 3.16, I'll follow up to let everyone know what I figured out. In the meantime, if someone that understands this better than me wants to take a crack at 3.16, feel free. I won't be offended if you figure it out first. 😊

Thanks Don for your help in inadvertently pointing me in the correct direction.

-----Original Message-----
From: JAVA400-L [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Don Brown
Sent: Saturday, September 2, 2017 8:56 PM
To: Java Programming on and around the IBM i <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Newsletter / Marketing: New to Java on the iSeries and trying to work with Scott Klement's HSSF36

Hi John,

I had an issue just recently where I upgraded a machine from 3.6 to 3.8 and was receiving the same error.

The problem was one of the required jar files was missing.

At 3.6 I had the following jar files installed. One difference was I installed in the /QIBM/UserData/Java400/ext directory which did not require the calsspath to be set up. Now I am not suggesting this is the best option, far from it but it is the easiest to get it working initially and then you can move the required files to their own directories and use the classpath to point to the required jar files.

I believe both examples and scratchpad are not required unless you are directly using classes from those jar files.

Also ensure the jar file name in the classpath matches exactly including case to the actual files. You will notice my files have the date incorporated into the name and this is as the files were downloaded from https://archive.apache.org/dist/poi/release/bin/

Hope this helps

dom4j-1.6.1.jar
jsr173_1.0_api.jar
poi-ooxml-schemas-3.6-20091214.jar
poi-ooxml-3.6-20091214.jar
poi-3.6-20091214.jar
xbean.jar

ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(CLASSPATH) +

VALUE('
/java/poi3.16/poi-3.16.jar:
/java/poi3.16/poi-scratchpad-3.16.jar:
/java/poi3.16/poi-ooxml-3.16.jar:
/java/poi3.16/poi-ooxml-schemas-3.16.jar:
/java/poi3.16/poi-examples-3.16.jar:
/java/poi3.16/poi-excelant-3.16.jar')
LEVEL(*JOB) REPLACE(*YES)

Don Brown