I wrote Windows based java programs about 20 years ago so I am horribly
rusty on how some of this works.

My iSeries is at 7.1.

I downloaded Scott Klement's HSSF36 and uploaded it to my iSeries into
library POI3.16. I compiled and ran the BUILDHSSF program and it appears to
have completed normally.

I downloaded poi-3.16 and uploaded it to /java/poi3.16.

I think I set my class path correctly using the following command.

ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(CLASSPATH) +

VALUE('/java/poi3.16/poi-3.16.jar:/java/poi+

3.16/poi-scratchpad-3.16.jar:/java/poi3.16/+

poi-ooxml-3.16.jar:/java/poi3.16/poi-ooxml-+

schemas-3.16.jar:/java/poi3.16/poi-examples+

-3.16.jar:/java/poi3.16/poi-excelant-3.16.j+

ar') LEVEL(*JOB) REPLACE(*YES)

I also found this so I executed it too. I have no clue what it is doing, if
it is correct, or if it is even needed.

ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(QIBM_RPG_JAVA_PROPERTIES) +

VALUE('-Djava.version=1.4;-Djava.awt.headle+

ss=true;-Dos400.awt.native=true;') +

REPLACE(*YES)

When I try to run the XLCRTDEMO program I receive the following error.

Additional Message Information

Message ID . . . . . . : RNQ0301

Date sent . . . . . . : 09/02/17 Time sent . . . . . . : 15:16:41

Message . . . . : Java exception received when calling Java method (C G D

F).

Cause . . . . . : RPG procedure XLCRTDEMO in program POI3.16/XLCRTDEMO

received Java exception "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:

org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook" when calling method "<init>"

with signature "()V" in class
"org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook".

Recovery . . . : Contact the person responsible for program maintenance

determine the cause of the problem.

Possible choices for replying to message . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :

D -- Obtain RPG formatted dump.

S -- Obtain system dump.

G -- Continue processing at *GETIN.

Can someone help point me in the right direction because I am totally lost.