On the Tomcat Users List, Pete Helgren wrote:
Also, are you sure that Java 6 on this box is current with PTF's and
that the profile this is running under is picking up the correct JVM
version when it runs?

My money is on a J9 JVM PTF but an issue with permissions or JVM
version could be a possibility......

and on the Java400 list at Midrange.com, Marshall Dunbar wrote:

In my experience, if you just loaded a new JDK and have not loaded the
java group PTF, java may have ³unpredictable results². I bet things will
magically work as soon as the java group PTF is loaded.

Just got word that the customer had successfully loaded the PTF, but there's no change at all in the behavior. The CATALINA job still crashes on takeoff (albeit with a message that it had completed normally), the spool file from STDOUT shows

Using CATALINA_BASE: /wintouch/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /wintouch/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /wintouch/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk60/32bit
Using CLASSPATH: /wintouch/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/wintouch/tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Tomcat started.

(which exactly matches what it says on our own box, on which Tomcat works just fine), and catalina.out shows:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:419)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:235)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:425)

If I do "/wintouch/tomcat/bin/startup.sh" from an interactive QSHELL session (after my STRTOMCAT CL program had already set the environment variable to select the correct JVM), I get the same STDOUT as before.

Then again, I'm not entirely sure they actually DID install any Java PTFs. Their latest 5761JV1 PTF is dated November of 2013. On the one hand, that's a good deal more recent than the latest one on our system; on the other hand, it's over a year ago, and a Google search shows PTFs for 5761JV1 that are as recent as less than a WEEK ago.

--
JHHL