This is a digest of what I've sent to the Tomcat Users List over the past eight hours or so; I'm hoping somebody here might have some insights.

I'm trying to bring up Tomcat on a customer's AS/400. It's at the same OS release as our own box, and Java 6 was just installed on it, sometime this past week.

I get this exception in catalina.out:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(

and this from stdout:
Using CATALINA_BASE: /wintouch/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /wintouch/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /wintouch/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk60/32bit
Using CLASSPATH: /wintouch/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/wintouch/tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Tomcat started.
which is exactly the same as what comes out of STDOUT when we launch Tomcat on our own box.

The customer box (an AS/400 at V6R1) is, according to RELEASE-NOTES, on 7.0.56. Our box (another AS/400 at V6R1) is on 7.0.54. We have another customer box (another AS/400, this one at V7R1) that is running 7.0.56 just fine.

I wiped out the /wintouch/tomcat directory (same convention we use at all of our Tomcat installations), re-unzipped it (as always, using JAR from an interactive QSHELL session), and tried to launch it without doing any of our usual configuration changes (e.g., enabling SSL, setting up a user for Manager). It still crashed exactly the same way.

I found some interesting joblog messages (especially after launching from an interactive QSHELL session) that had me checking public authorities to JARs, but after resolving those messages, Tomcat continues to crash on takeoff, with exactly the same exception as before.

We have a CL program to launch Tomcat in a batch job; it leaves the environment variables in place, that it set before launching the batch job, where they, at least in theory, should be visible to an interactive QSHELL session. Attempting to call /wintouch/tomcat/bin/ produced the same results as the CL program.

A user on the Tomcat list suggested that I add "-verbose:class" and/or "" to the JVM options. I added them to the JAVA_OPTS environment variable and called again; still the same results.

Another user suggested checking for PTFs; we'd already asked somebody at the customer site to do so.

James H. H. Lampert

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This thread ...


Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2022 by and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].

Operating expenses for this site are earned using the Amazon Associate program and Google Adsense.