For anyone else running into this issue:

I've been working off line with John Eberhard of IBM.

This issue stems from the com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCConnection class in
jt400.jar

In this class, the "sort" code is executed before the "database name" code.
In my situation, I have a sort table that resides in the iASP.
Because this class tried to set the sort table before it set the database,
the sort table came back with the CPF9810 - Library MYLIB not found.

A change was made to AS400JDBCConnection to move the sort code after the
database name code.
Now the database name is set -then- the sort table is looked for (and
found) in the iASP.

The changed code is reflected in the open source JTOpen project on
sourceforge.net:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jt400/

I was provided a test jt400.jar. I ran my own code using this .jar file
and confirmed that it now finds the sort table.

I'm told that the next build of JTOpen that will include the new jt400.jar
file will possibly be in December 2014.

Thanks to John for his quick resolution to this problem.

-doug