By the way, using system CCSID 65535 is dangerous. It forces the system to assume all the data it is handling is in the same character set. The system must assume some CCSID when converting to Unicode. In the US, this is typically CCSID 37. Other countries have different defaults depending on the language system value. It may simply be that your system is assuming a CCSID with a BidiStringType different than what's actually in the data. See:

http://javadoc.midrange.com/jtopen/com/ibm/as400/access/BidiStringType.html

According to this, there are bidi flags embedded in the data and the bidi flags vary according to the CCSID.

-----Original Message-----
From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Geren White
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 3:58 PM
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Sending Hebrew data from RPG program to Java program

Hello All,

I'm having some issues with handling Hebrew data that I was hoping some of you might be able to help me out on. I'm trying to send Hebrew data from an RPG program to a Java program which the Java program then takes and constructs a PDF. I'm having a few issues with processing the Hebrew data to get it into a correct display order. I'm the Java programmer on this project so please excuse any iSeries/RPG ignorance.

So first off the RPG program sends a string of data to the Java program that is a mix of Hebrew/English/numerical data. The data comes from a spooled file on the iSeries and is actually each line of the file. There is no processing of the data on the iSeries side and it is sent as is. The Java program is receiving most of the data as I would expect in a logical order. Logical order being the order in which the characters were typed.
I've used the Java Bidi class to process the data and I've tried the AS400BidiTransform class. Both of these classes can handle most of the data correctly and get it into a correct display order. The issue is that there are certain strings of data that are received in an unexpected order.

This is best explained through examples so assume capital H's are Hebrew:

An example of a situation that can be handled by the Java Bidi class or
AS400BidiTransform:

First the correct display order:

english :HHHH

I would receive this string as:

HHHH: english

The first H in the received string would be the right most H in the display order. As you can see this would be a logical order for bidirectional data as the user would type the Hebrew and then switch to LTR with the english portion. There are much more complex situations that are handled correctly by the Bidi classes as well but this is just a simple example.

Now an example of an incorrect ordering:

Correct display order:

350 X 250 X 150 :HHHH

Received order:

HHHH: 150 350 X 250 X

This data does not seem to be in a logical order. The first number after the Hebrew, 150 in this case, seems to stay within the RTL segment while the rest of the equation gets put into a LTR segment. The Java Bidi class and the AS400BidiTransform class do not process this correctly. There are many more situations where this happens and way too many to have special cases for.

I've been reading all about bidirectional data processing and iSeries support for it and can't seem to figure this out. I'm thinking it might be an issue with the CCSID on the iSeries. The system's CCSID is 65535 and all our jobs should be the same. So from my understanding there shouldn't be any conversion on the iSeries side but somewhere along the line this data is getting jumbled.

If any of you have any experience with this or any ideas they would be much appreciated. Let me know if you need more information. Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Geren White

CYBRA Corporation