We have a web application which traditionally runs on a separate Windows box next to the customers AS/400 (but which runs nicely on Linux, that's not the issue).

I am considering whether we could have a hosted solution instead, and was looking at the Google App Engine which would be very nice for deploying such a web application. The interesting issue is that we need a pipe to the AS/400 from the web application, and GAE only allows connections to other computers through http and https.

There is a Proxy functionality (for mobile units) in jt400 which most likely could be leveraged over a compressed http tunnel, and some firewall issues but all that most likely just requires some elbow grease.

I was wondering if anybody has already done this, and had some battle experiences to share?