Note that in this case the OP is using STATIC on the method, not a
variable as far as I know.

Which simply means that the method my be called without an instance of
the class. Usually used for utility type methods that operate solely
on the passed in parms. Examples: most of the methods in the Math and
also java.util.Random classes.

The thread safety of a method is not affected by the use of STATIC.

HTH,
Charles