So what is the value of osName in the J2EE environment?

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lim Hock-Chai
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 2:21 PM
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Running in EBCDIC or ASCII

I'm encountering a strange problem here. Below is a <clip> of my code
in a java class:

<clip>
String str;
String osName = System.getProperty("os.name");
if (osName.equals("OS/400")) {
str = bao.toString("Cp037");
}
else
{
str = bao.toString();
}
</clip>

For some reasons, if this class is instantiate from RPG program, it
works correctly (Str variable will contain readable context). But if
this class is instantiate from a EJB application, that is running on an
iseries, the str variable will contain non-readable text. It is
obviously caused by bao is in EBCDIC format when running in RPG but it
is in ASCII format when running from EJB.

Any idea how I can resolve this issue?

Below is the complete code of the class:
package com.arch.boss.util;

import java.io.InputStream;
import java.io.OutputStream;
import java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream;
import java.util.List;
import java.util.Arrays;
import com.arch.boss.log.Log;

class StreamGobbler extends Thread
{
InputStream is = null;
ByteArrayOutputStream bao = null;
List<String> listString = null;

StreamGobbler(InputStream is, OutputStream os)
{
this.is = is;
this.bao = (ByteArrayOutputStream) os;
}

StreamGobbler(InputStream is, List<String> listString)
{
this.is = is;
this.bao = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
this.listString = listString;
}

public void run()
{
try {

// read the inputStream and place the result in the
outputStream
int result = is.read();
while(result != -1) {
byte b = (byte)result;
bao.write(b);
result = is.read();
}

is.close();

// if caller wants it in List String format, convert

// the bytearray into stream
if (listString != null) {
String str;
String osName =
System.getProperty("os.name");
if (osName.equals("OS/400")) {
Log.category.debug( "StreamGobbler(Before): " +
bao.toString());
str = bao.toString("Cp037");
Log.category.debug( "StreamGobbler(After): " +
bao.toString());
}
else
{
Log.category.debug( "StreamGobbler: " +
bao.toString());
str = bao.toString();
}

listString.addAll(Arrays.asList(str.split("\n")));

catch (Exception ex) {
Log.category.debug("Error Occured When attempting to get ssh
Key --", ex);