Clapham, Paul wrote:
But that doesn't quite make sense. Converting to Unicode should generate
a stream of characters, that's what "Unicode" means in Java. And for
that you would use a Reader, not an InputStream.

At this point I'm using a IFSTextFileInputStream object ... which I would expect to do character conversions.

I think I've found the problem ... and it appears to be a bug in the IFSTextFileInputStream class. It seems to implement the 'read(int length)' method for converting text ... but none of the other InputStream.read methods.

When a Property object is loading, it creates a Reader using the InputStream and invokes the readLine method on the reader.

<time passes/>

I was able to get JT400 to read the IFS property file! I switched the IFSTextFileInputStream for a ReaderInputStream constructed with an IFSFileReader.

InputStream is = new ReaderInputStream(new IFSFileReader(file),
"ASCII");

When I loaded the properties file, it worked perfectly.

Oddly enough, when Properties loads the InputStream ... it creates a reader internally. You would think there should be a way to load properties passing in a Reader instead of an InputStream.

david