To: <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2008 12:23 PM
Subject: RecordFormat threadsafety

Hi

For some time now I have been working on a multi threaded Java server that
will sit on the i5 (Power etc) and respond to requests from RPG via a data
queue.

Whenever the "Server" has to write back to files on the AS400, it uses
record level access, and each thread has its own AS400 connection object for
use with the KeyedFile object.

Everything seems to work ok, but I am a bit worried about messages that are
appearing in the Job log to say that the commands DSPFD and DSPFFD are not
thread safe.

I think that these commands are being called when the RecordFormat is being
created, does anybody have any tips for getting round this, or do I just
have to accept the fact that I cannot use threads in my server.

I am tempted to bin off record level access, and just use JDBC and SQL.. But
before I do that are there any threading issue's I have to contend with in
JDBC?

Thanks, any help as always is very appreciated. Neill