Joe wrote:
Bait and switch means you are paying considerably
more for something than promised...

If IBM had wanted to bait with the free WDSCi and later switch to the
licensed RDi, how would IBM have done things differently from what has
happened so far?

Why doesn't IBM release WDSCi to an open source project, like they
released Toolbox for Java to the JTOpen community?

Joe wrote:
The only real complaint I can see for most people is that
in my opinion IBM should charge nothing for switching from
ADTS to RDi. Anything they charge for that switch is a
true double charge.

I'm still missing something. Why would you feel IBM should not charge
for switching from ADTS to RDi? If ADTS and RDi are going to cost the
same under the new plan, there is no charge for switching from one to
the other, right? There must be something I'm leaving out.

We have 28 developers, and I'd say about half use ADTS and half use
WDSCi (each developer gets to choose which set of tools they use). I
suspect our managers will not pay for both ADTS and RDi. So about 14
developers are going to move from ADTS to RDi, or about 14 developers
are going to move from WDSCi to ADTS.

Thanks for the responses, Joe!

Kelly