Will this work with files created via SQL?

Thanks,
Todd

David Gibbs
<david@xxxxxxxxxx
om> To
Sent by: Java Programming on and around the
java400-l-bounces iSeries / AS400
@midrange.com <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

03/04/2008 09:59 Subject
AM Re: Is there a way to detect if a
file is "externally described"?

Please respond to
Java Programming
on and around the
iSeries / AS400
<java400-l@midran
ge.com>

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
I have understood that a traditional AS/400 file can be either
externally described, or not. (I can see externally described files as
tables with JDBC, the others not).
Is there a way to check programmatically before hand?

You could use the ObjectDescription object to retrieve attributes about
the file ... if it has a SOURCE_FILE attached to it, it's probably
externally described.

I just ran a quick test ... a source physical file returned a source
file of blank, while a true externally described file returned the
actual source file that contained the DDS.

david

--
IBM System i - For when you can't afford to be out of business