Joe Sam Shirah skrev den 29-10-2007 22:15:
Clearly not. BTW, I may have miscommunicated. My comments were pretty much about appservers and webservers on the AS/400. We have a number of AS/400 Java projects that run on AS/400's and I've never been unhappy with the results. As an aside, I'm also on the Mac developer list and there are some irate (to put it mildly) developers there because JDK 1.6 was not included in Friday's Leopard release. Somebody compared Apple with IBM and HP, at which point I sent a mail just to inform them that the AS/400 has had 1.6 since July.
Apparently I missed that announcement - I'm still trying to learn the right places to pick up that kind of information.

We develop against 1.4 but Java 6 has some very interesting enhancements that is usable for analyzing runtime behavior, so if it is available for V5R3 I'd begin to bribe our sysadmin to get it.

Depends on what the load is

Agreed. But my thought for most AS/400 sites is, how is the "normal" load impacted by the additional resource drain of an app/web server?
Frankly I have no idea. For a system with CPU to spare I have understood it is enough to "just" stow the Java stuff away in a subsystem with 1Gb RAM for itself. That is an additional expense that I am pretty sure most sites forget when determining where to run.

Should definitely, if the native driver is used. But there are many
The toolbox JDBC driver should automatically choose it when running natively. I'd love to see some benchmark figures though.

Even if it seems so, my counter responses are no more than that: opposing considerations. As is so often the case in computerdom, the truest answer is "it depends."
Agreed. I notice you toppost while copying in the original text from below - maybe Outlook-Quotefix may be usable to you. I have finally made Outlook behave reasonably using this plugin.