On 9/25/07, Kenneth McMenamy <onedble0@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Roy,
Did you find your answer on what is the best tool to create a GUI with
on the I-Series? I for one have been searching for this question for quite
sometime. After reading the responses for this thread it seems that there
is not front runner in this arena. Every language has its pros and
cons. RPG provided us with a structured approach to design applications
that consistently performed. Now we are faced with multiple language
choices with ever changing frameworks JSP, JSF, Grails, Spring, Hibernate,
EJB, AJAX (Google API), PHP. . . The list goes on and on...

My two cents is to pick a language **cough** -Java- **cough**, a
framework and stick with it. By the time you complete your GUI'fication an
entirely new set of standards will have surfaced.

P.S. I can name that tune in 6 languages and HTML does not count. Not
bad for a finance major.

Ken

I know this is the Java list, so I fully expect to be roasted and toasted
for this:

If the goal is a GUI, and by that I am inferring a thick client and not a
browser-based solution, then why not consider .Net? You could still use
Stored Procedures on the iSeries to control your business logic and database
access, but you would also be using the native Windows GUI system to deliver
a true Windows interface. Best of both worlds, right? I'm not saying it
would be easy, but I do think it holds true to the "right tool for the right
job" motif. And by separating the data access into Stored Procedures, you
could be better prepared for that framework/platform/delivery change when it
inevitably comes.

Ken: sounds pretty good to me!

And now: Let the flaming begin!