Tim,

We have used data queues, SQL Stored procedures (compiled as C on the
iSeries) and SQL. What you choose depends on the amount of data, the
response speed and the amount of interaction required with existing
programs on the iSeries.

We tend to use data Queues where interaction with existing programs /
business logic is required. Data queues also tend to be quite fast.

Direct SQL is best for simple queries with small data sets, or quick
queries where the overhead of setting up data queues or stored
procedures would be less efficient.

Stored procedures are better for complex queries, or joining of tables
with large amounts of data, where the result set is relatively small
compared to the temporary joins of the tables. You can also wrap
existing business logic (i.e. RPG program) in a stored procedure is you
wish, and return the output or you could use PCML to call RPG logic
directly.

Regards
John

message: 1
date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:10:09 -0400
from: "tim" <tim2006@xxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: SQL, Stored Proc, Other - whats best to use getting data from
iseries

Hello,

I am working on a new app that I would like to make GUI. My thoughts
were
using a Java Gui, but not sure how I want to handle getting data from
and
the iseries. I've read on using SQL, back end RPG stored procedure,
Stored
proces using Data queues, etc.

Seems to be lots of options. Just would like feedback on some you all
have
tried and pro/cons of each.

Thanks.