We are about to develop our first Java-applications. At the moment, we are
thinking about the best way to set up a Software Lifecycle Management
method. We want to store the Java-sources and Java-classes on a file
server, so each of the developers will have access to the latest versions
of the sources. Furthermore, we want to have different environments for
Development, Testing, Integration Testing and Production. We wonder how
things can be arranged in an efficient, easy-to-use and yet robust way. I
would appreciate it if anybody could give some advice.

I know a little about CVS, but I do not fully understand the role of CVS
in an overall Software Lifecycle Management setup. Any clarification would
be appreciated.

I also would like to know what is the most common 'level of management'.
Should sources and classes be managed on an individual basis, or is it
more appropriate to use Jar-files as the 'level of management'? In the
latter case, I am afraid that there will often be conflicts when classes
within a Jar-file are maintained for different reasons. A change that was
made for a particular project might already be ready to be moved to a test
environment, while another class in the Jar-file is still under
maintenance. How are such situations normally handled?

Thanks,

Ewout