Newsgroups: midrange.java400-l
To: <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 4:28 PM
Subject: Re: Converting a string to BigDecimal w/comma

Don McIntyre wrote:
I am loading a DB2/400 data base table from an XML file.  I was not
having problems until a vendor started adding comma's in the 'total'
element of the XML.  Now my program errors when trying to write the
amount field to a Big Decimal.  The cXML consortium states the comma is
optional, so I need to deal with it.
Editing a numeric value in a data file is pretty dumb.

How about extracting the value into a String, then use the replaceAll
method to replace commas with nothing.

Something like ...

String editedNumericValue = "123,456,789.01"; // get the value here
String rawNumericValue = editedNumericValue.replaceAll(",","");

Of course the best solution would be to have the vendor create the xml
file properly.

david

--
Check out the System i Search Engine: http://search.midrange.com