The hard part is still handling column types.  Whether you use embedded SQL
or convert the types using the Java interface capabilities of RPG, you still
need at some point to know the type of data you're reading.  RPG does not
handle variable type data very well.

So, if you already know the layout of the result set, then you can use the
JTOpen classes to convert each row into a data structure.  Very easy to do.
The hard part is the error checking; you should probably check the result
set metadata to make sure you're getting the types of data you expect.

If you don't know the types, then you need to query the metadata of the
result set and have some sort of CASE logic in your RPG to handle the
various types of data.  Then you'd probably have to handle each column in
each row one at a time.

Joe