From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Dan
Sent: Thu 10/20/2005 11:28 AM
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Help finding javac (java compiler) on WinXP

(Preface: I'm very much a newbie with Java.)

Where do I find and how do I install javac.exe for WinXP?

Kevin Vandever has an article in IT Jungle's Midrange Programmer
titled "*Calling
PC Commands from RPG*" (http://www.itjungle.com/mpo/mpo091202-story05.html)
that talks about using a java program, compiled with javac on the PC command
line. The instructions in the .java source say:
// To Compile:
// From a PC command line (must have JDK 1.1.8 or higher)
// javac CommandServerJDQ.java -deprecation

I searched for "javac" on my PC and came up with no executables. I used
iSeries Navigator to see if I could find something there, but came up only
with (Root)\usr\bin\ folder having a file named javac. The file properties
shows 0 bytes for the data size.

I searched the archives, but nothing helps. We are on V5R2 and have the
Toolbox for Java, Developer Kit for Java, Java Developer Kits 1.2, 1.1.8,
1.3, & 1.4 installed. On my XP Pro, I have Sun's Java 1.5 (Java Control
Panel shows "Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_04-b05)") The README.txt in
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04 contains a reference to JAVAC in the JDK:

- The javac bytecode compiler, consisting of the following files:
<snip>
bin/javac.exe [Microsoft Windows]
lib/tools.jar [All platforms]

TIA, Dan