java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 09/08/2005 03:04:32 PM:

> Is 1.5 available on iSeries yet -- specifically from w/in WebSphere 5.1?
> I'm interested in using the UUID class, but it's introduced in java 5
> (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/UUID.html)
>
> Alternatively, how would one generate a UUID from w/in Java? I've seen
> references to using the VMID from java.rmi.dgc, but that doesn't quite
> sound kosher -- although it seems to return something UUID-like.
>
> I'm looking to identify a record uniquely across all space and time --
> and UUIDs fit the bill!

I am not aware of 1.5 being available, even if it were it has never been
possible to alter the version of Java that WAS uses.  Each version of WAS
has a specific JVM version that it will use and you cannot change it.

I would suggest looking for an open source implementation.  Things like
this rarely begin their life in the base Java distribution.  Check the
Jakarta Commons project.

Mark

Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. by IBM Email Security Management Services