My other "stuff not downloading" issue (i.e., jars not being updated; it turned out to be a matter of setting the new "shortcut online" tag to "true") is solved, but this is not. Here is the problem in a nutshell:

We have, on the client side of one of our products, a JNLP file that requests a 1.5 JVM, and that request is being gleefully ignored on boxes with 1.4 JVMs.

The jnlp tag is:

<jnlp
spec="1.0+"
codebase="http://192.168.1.102/jars";
href="emulator.jnlp">

and the j2se tag is:

<j2se version="1.5+" href = "http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"; java-vm-args="-esa -Xnoclassgc"/>

When I ran this on a box with a 1.4 JVM, but no 1.5 JVM, it made no attempt to download the newer JVM, but simply ran with the 1.4 that was present.

Since the application itself is sophisticated enough that the 1.5 version requires a 1.5 JVM (and conversely, the older version for a 1.4 JVM crashes on a 1.5 JVM), we do need to have the JNLP request specific JVMs.

If you have an account on the Sun Java forums, there are 10 dukes sitting on this very question there.

--
JHHL