    Hi Shane,

> statements...is this what you're talking about?

    Yes, but first see Franco's response re:

>    queryCKWORKCD.setString(1, "'" + pc[x].trim() + "'");

and change it as suggested.

> Should I declare my ResultSet at the top of my method also?

    I'll leave issues of where to declare variables to others for now.  In
general it doesn't matter much, other than scope and possibly clarity.

    BUT, I think I should clarify for you why it was important to move the

nal820.conn.prepareStatement(...

out of the loop.  It doesn't have to do with variables declared in or out of
the loop.  PreparedStatements work differently than regular Statements in
several ways, but the most important is that a PreparedStatement is sent to
the database on the conn.prepareStatement() to be precompiled.

    There's a lot of garbage out there about what "pre-compiled" means, but
in a production quality database and driver, what happens is that a query
plan or strategy is calculated and saved.  Then, every time the
PreparedStatement is run, the saved strategy is used; the only change is any
paramters sent.

    A regular Statement does the same, except the query is sent, the plan is
computed, the query executes - *every time*.  If you only run it once, OK
( ignoring the other considerations I mentioned earlier ).

    By putting

nal820.conn.prepareStatement(...

in the loop, you were causing this extra trip ( and calculation ) to the
database on every iteration.  While it's possible the DB might cache the
plan, you shouldn't count on it.  Incidentally, since you were creating a
new PreparedStatement every time, the close() outside the loop only closed
the last one.  gc would eventually handle it, but that's not a good way to
handle things.  Make sense?

    BTW, I think most people here know, but my friends call me

                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO       -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?            http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400