Mark,

Thanks for the response...I just was curious if it could be done...is it
common, then, to have a crapload of class variables?...

Shane Cessna
iSeries Programmer
iSeries WAS Administrator
North American Lighting, Inc.
(618) 662-4483 x2776
shane_cessna@xxxxxxx

MWalter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
06/13/2005 08:57 AM
Please respond to
Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
<java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
<java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: "new to Java" question...

Isn't that the idea behind encapsulation? So method variables cannot be
accessed. Make them class variables.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

             Shane_Cessna@nal.
             com

             java400-l-bounces         JAVA400-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             @midrange.com                                              cc

                                                                   Subject

             06/13/2005 09:52          "new to Java" question...
             AM

             Please respond to
             Java Programming
             on and around the
              iSeries / AS400
             <java400-l@midran
                  ge.com>

Is there an easier way to access method variables in another method other
than passing them on the call?  here's an example:

  DB2400 nal820 = new DB2400("nal820");
  getData(nal820);
  nal820.disconnect();
}

public static void getData(DB2400 nal820) {
  //process data
}

could I do something in the getData method to access my "nal820" variable
without passing it?  I'm sure it's something really easy and basic, but
like the subject says, it's a "new to Java" type of question...Thanks...