    Hi Mike,

> the only thing that worked for me was to place the classpath on the
> SystemDefault.properties file in my \home\<user profile> folder

    Not something you want to do if avoidable - and it should be.

> The only difference was my code was in a jar file.

    Jar classpath usage should be be one of:

        1)    in an extension directory

        2)    or explicitly on the classpath; for example

                   java -cp /home/me/myJar.jar: myClass

        3)    or the jar directory is on the classpath and

                   java -jar myJar.jar

 is used with the jar containing a manifest with startup info.

    From Jon's 1:15 a.m. message, it appears there is a JDK setup problem.
I would remove and reinstall, following the instructions I posted in my
earlier response to this thread.

                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO       -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?            http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400