> Unfortunately, I'm the only guy in our shop that's touching it so we've got
> "support" issues.

I had that same scenario at my previous employer. At the time nobody
wanted to pick up Java, so I went the RPG route (that's why I wrote
the XML parser wrappers and RPGMail on my site mowyourlawn.com). By
the time I got done getting everything working in RPG (because there
weren't any tools out there to do it) the doors for Java were much
more open.

There were comments in this thread from others that were more or less
stating "Go with a Service Oriented Architecture".  That is the way to
go if you must include both RPG and Java. Don't ever let your RPG
instantiate Java, but instead invoke a light weight Java web service
that is running in Tomcat on your iSeries (for example). Use
bvstools.com's GETURI or scottklement.com's HTTPAPI to invoke the web
service from RPG.

If you are introducing Java anyway I would sit down with your IT
manager and have a heart to heart about the direction of your
technology.  You can spin your wheels a long time using a hammer (RPG)
on a screw (XML).  I learned that the hard way :-(

HTH,
Aaron Bartell