Joe,

Actually writing your own code to add classes/jars from specified
directories is not that bad, Ive done similar myself.

A lot of open source java projects require a lot of jar files added to the
classpath which is a pain, so I created a custom classloader so the I could
read a list of directories from a properties file, and load all the jars in
those directories

public class Runner extends URLClassLoader{

    public static void main(String[] args) throws Throwable {
        if (args.length >= 1) {

                // get paths to be used for loading
            ClassLoader base = ClassLoader.getSystemClassLoader();
            URL[] urls;
            if (base instanceof URLClassLoader) {
                urls = ((URLClassLoader)base).getURLs();
            } else {
                urls = new URL[] { new File(".").toURI().toURL() };
            }

            // list the paths actually being used
            System.out.println("Loading from paths:");
            for (int i = 0; i < urls.length; i++) {
                System.out.println(" " + urls[i]);
            }

            // load target class using custom class loader
            Runner loader = new Runner(urls, base.getParent());
            loader.log(args[0]);
            loader.setEnv(args[0]);
            Class clas = loader.loadClass(loader.getClass(args[0]));

            // invoke "main" method of target class
            Class[] ptypes = new Class[] { args.getClass() };
            Method main = clas.getDeclaredMethod("main", ptypes);
            String[] pargs = new String[args.length-1];
//            System.arraycopy(args, 1, pargs, 0, pargs.length);
            Thread.currentThread().setContextClassLoader(loader);
            main.invoke(null, new Object[] { args });

        public void setEnv(String dir, String propertiesFile) throws
Throwable {

                if (env == null)
                {
                        env = dir;
                        addLib(dir);
                }

                // Load the classpath from the specified properties file
                addJarLib(getClasspath(propertiesFile));

        }

    public void addJarLib(String liblist) throws Throwable {

        // Create filter if necessary
        if (jf == null)
                jf = new JarFilter();

        String lib = null;

        StringTokenizer st = new StringTokenizer(liblist,":");
        while (st.hasMoreTokens()) {
            lib = st.nextToken();

                // Get a list of jars in the directory
                File dir = new File(lib);

                // Exit if directory not found
                if (!dir.exists())
                {
                        throw new Exception(dir.getAbsolutePath() + " not
found in addJarLib");
                }

                File[] files = dir.listFiles(jf);
                if (files.length == 0)
                {
                    addURL(dir.toURL());
                }
                else
                {
                        for (int i = 0; i < files.length; i++) {
                    addURL(files[i].toURL());

    public void addLib(String lib) throws Throwable {

        // Refer to directory
        File dir = new File(lib);

        // Exit if directory not found
        if (!dir.exists())
        {
                throw new Exception(dir.getAbsolutePath() + " not found in
addLib");
        }

            addURL(dir.toURL());

    }