From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Dave Murvin
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 6:26 PM
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SQL results set NullPointerException

Hi,

I am trying to read a database file on the AS/400 in my test program running
on a PC.  I have been able to create the file and write records to the file.
Everything looks okay when I view the file on the AS/400.  When I try to
read the records, I get a null pointer exception at the point where I try to
extract the first field from the results set.  When I looked at the data for
the results set in debug, it didn't seem correct for some of the fields, but
the first field is a string and looks okay.  I have tried varchar and String
for the first field definition.  No differences.  Code snipit is:

  Statement stmt = null;
         ArrayList recordsRead = new ArrayList();
         ResultSet rs = null;
         String[] values = new String[0];
         try {
             DatabaseMetaData dmd = connection.getMetaData();
             stmt = connection.createStatement();
             String query = "select * from " +
                     collectionName + dmd.getCatalogSeparator() + tableName;
             rs = stmt.executeQuery(query);
             while (rs.next()) {
                 values[0] = rs.getString(1);                        //
property type  <=== NullPointerException at this point
                 values[1] = new Integer(rs.getInt(2)).toString();   //
MLSid
                 values[2] = rs.getString(3);                        //
Address
                 values[3] = new Integer(rs.getInt(4)).toString();   // Sq
footage
                 values[4] = new Integer(rs.getInt(5)).toString();   //
Home owner d

File currently looks like this:

private String propertiesSQLCreate =
           "(Property_Type          for column PropType    char(30) not
null, " +
           "Multiple_Listing_id     for column MLSID       integer not
null, " +
           "Property_Address        for column Address     char(150), " +
           "Square_Footage          for column SQFootage   integer, " +
           "Home_Owners_Dues        for column HODues      integer, " +
           "Nbr_of_Bedrooms         for column Bedrooms    integer, " +
           "Nbr_of_Bathrooms        for column Bathrooms   integer, " +
           "Monthyl_Rent            for column MntlyRent   integer, " +
           "primary key( Multiple_Listing_id))";

Am I missing something?  Any ideas?
I am using the latest JTOpen.jar for my communications objects.  I am on
V5R3.

Thanks for the help.

Dave Murvin
DRM Enterprises, Inc.