Hi Chad,

> If I open up the SystemDefault.properties file, it displays
> funky characters.

    Not sure how you are opening it.  Remember that IFS text files are
typically ASCII, and in the case of Java .properties files, ISO 8859-1
encoded.

    For small changes I use WRKLNK.  Use option 5 to navigate to the desired
directory.  Once you see the file you want to change, *make a backup copy*,
then use option 2 to edit it and save the changes.

    For larger changes, I usually *make a backup copy*, ftp to a PC, make
changes with a text editor and ftp back.  HTH,


                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO       -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?            http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bob Anderson" <banderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400"
<java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 12:28 PM
Subject: RE: How to change Java Versions on AS400


> Chad,
> you do it through the qshell into the ifs
>
> bob
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of cornelius, chad
> Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 11:59 AM
> To: 'Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400'
> Subject: RE: How to change Java Versions on AS400
>
>
> Is there a way to change this on the 400?  If I open up the
> SystemDefault.properties file, it displays funky characters.
>
> Thanks,
> Chad
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bob Anderson [mailto:banderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 9:52 AM
> To: Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
> Subject: RE: How to change Java Versions on AS400
>
> Chad,
> Here you go:
>
> This document and many others can be found by selecting the "Technical
> databases" link at the iSeries Technical Support website at the following
> URL:
>
>        http://www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/support
>
>
> While you are there, check out other exciting offerings such as iPTF and
> Recommended Fixes.  We show you the quickest way to keep your iSeries
> systems current on fixes.
>
> IBM Support Line
> Technical Document
>
>     Document Number:   19754920
>   ____________________________________________________________
>   Functional Area:                       Operating System
>   SubFunctional Area:               Programming
>   SubSubFunctional Area:       JAVA
>   ____________________________________________________________
>   Product:  5769jv1
>   Release:
>
>   Classification:       Entitled/Advanced
>
>   Keywords:
>  ____________________________________________________________
>  Document Title:Changing Default Version for JDK (java.version)
>  Document Description:
>   Question:  If I have multiple JDKs installed, can I change the default
> JDK to a different version?
>
> Answer:  A number of properties are set when the Java virtual machine
> starts.  To change the version of the Java virtual machine, you will need
> to set the property for Java version (java.version).  Use one of the
> following methods to set the property:
>
>
>   o   Provide a file in /QIBM/UserData/Java400, named
>       SystemDefault.properties.  The property values that you specify in
>       this file override the system defaults that IBM provides.  This
>       file sets the default system properties for all Java virtual
>       machines that run on your iSeries 400 system.
>
>
>
>   o   Or, place a SystemDefault.properties file in your own user.home
>       path.  This file and the properties that it contains override those
>       in /QIBM/UserData/Java400/SystemDefault.properties.  This file sets
>       the default system properties for all Java virtual machines that
>       run for you.
>
>       Following is an example of a SystemDefault.properties file:
>
>       java.version=1.2
>
>
>
> Note:   For JDK 1.2+, "java.version" is ignored in
> SystemDefault.properties.  This change was made in V4R5 due to a WebSphere
> requirement.  To get around this permanent restriction RPG will make a
> change to allow the user to specify which version of the JDK to start.
> Refer to APAR SE10792
>
>
> --
> No virus found in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
> Version: 7.0.306 / Virus Database: 266.4.0 - Release Date: 2/22/2005
>
> --
> This is the Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400 (JAVA400-L)
> mailing list
> To post a message email: JAVA400-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
> visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/java400-l
> or email: JAVA400-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> at http://archive.midrange.com/java400-l.
> --
> This is the Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400 (JAVA400-L)
> mailing list
> To post a message email: JAVA400-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
> visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/java400-l
> or email: JAVA400-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> at http://archive.midrange.com/java400-l.
>
>
> --
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
> Version: 7.0.306 / Virus Database: 266.4.0 - Release Date: 2/22/2005
>
> --
> No virus found in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
> Version: 7.0.306 / Virus Database: 266.4.0 - Release Date: 2/22/2005
>
> -- 
> This is the Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400 (JAVA400-L)
mailing list
> To post a message email: JAVA400-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
> visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/java400-l
> or email: JAVA400-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> at http://archive.midrange.com/java400-l.
>


As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This thread ...

Replies:

Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2022 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].

Operating expenses for this site are earned using the Amazon Associate program and Google Adsense.