1)
  /**
   * Check if the specified timestamp is greater than now
   *
   * @param futureTimestamp
   * @return
   */
  public static boolean isValid(Timestamp futureTimestamp) {
    if (futureTimestamp != null) {
      Timestamp now = new Timestamp(System.currentTimeMillis());
      return futureTimestamp.after(now);
    }
    else {
      return false;

2)

  public static java.sql.Date toDate(String strDate)
      throws NullPointerException {
    if (strDate == null) {
      throw new NullPointerException("Date invalid.");
    }
    else {
      java.sql.Date parsedDate = null;
      try {
        SimpleDateFormat formatter = new
SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-mm-dd-hh.mm.ss");
        parsedDate = new Date(formatter.parse(strDate).getTime());

      }
      catch (Exception e) {
        e.printStackTrace();
      }