> From: Urbanek, Marty
>
> Please clarify: are you saying there is a multi-fold (8X) increase in
> performance between the iSeries 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 JVM running on the
same
> machine?

I'm not saying ANYTHING definitively, Marty.  I'm just saying what the
numbers said.  The 24-way model 840-2420 scored about 80,000 on JDK
1.3.0, while the 32-core (which I assume is 16 2-core CPUs) i5 595
scored 880,000 on JDK 1.4.2.

What exactly does this mean?  I don't know, but it's a damned curious
number, don't you think?

> Have you compared the total MHz available on the 840-2420 24-way
versus
> the 595 16-way? Could this be more a matter of increased CPU cycles to
run
> the JVM rather than JVM code?

I don't know anything except what I told you, and what I told you is
what I read from the SPEC JBB2000 test results:
http://www.spec.org/osg/jbb2000/.  Like Don, I'd love to hear what Blair
Wyman has to say on this issue.

Joe