java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 07/27/2004 12:02:10 PM:

> We have a requirement to develop a new GUI add-on for our system.  We
have
> investigated doing this using CGI but HTML is simply not going to give
us
> the same selection of components and rich interface that we need so we
> decided to create an applet using a Swing user interface (our target
> deployment already runs the Sun Plugin in their browser so we have all
the
> javax classes).  I have done some testing and downloading the jt400
> classes as needed is not going to be a problem for us thanks to applet
> caching, etc.
>
> My question to anyone who would care to give me some advice is - what
> would you use for database access?  We have a sort of bad taste from
> updating the database directly using JDBC from a previous project and
> would like to move to something else, perhaps stored procedures.  Is
this
> the way to go?  If so, would you recommend SQL or External Stored
> procedures?  We have a requirement for accessing several files and
> possibly calling programs in the business logic of this applet.  (which
> sort of leans me toward External RPGLE stored procedures)
>
> As far as I can tell, you can't update a resultset (using JDBC) that is
> created external stored procedures stored in db2/400, but you can do
this
> with SQL stored procedures?  I haven't been able to find a lot of
> information on updating using stored procedures in this particular
> scenario on the web or the forums/newsgroups and am just trying to get a

> feel of what is best to do here.  Is updating a resultset considered a
> good idea when it is created from a stored procedure?

I obviously do not know all of your business requirements so it is hard to
pass judgement, but I think you are heading down the wrong path.  My
primary concern, is that I think it is a mistake to allow the clients to
talk directly to the server.  Even if you use Swing, I would recommend
that the client talk only to the application server over HTTP/HTTPS and
that the server then execute the business logic (JDBC, program calls
etc..)  Otherwise, I think you are opening up a lot of potential security
and deployment issues.

Also, there are some pretty decent projects out there now that can render
fairly advanced UI's in HTML.  I wouldn't completely discount using HTML
for the UI.  I certainly recognize there are cases where using Swing could
make sense, however.  I just would not want a browser-delivered Swing
client to be executing JDBC statements or Program Calls.

Mark