<JOE>
> I want an application server to start up.  This also fires up the JVM.
> This JVM is then "registered" with the OS as a "named" JVM.
</JOE>

it already exists, its called EJB Server, it runs on as400 in diffrent
flavours.

<JOE>

> From that point on, I can start an interactive job or a batch job and
> "attach" to this named JVM, thereby accessing its objects.
</JOE>

Easily done, from each Java class, using JNDI for instance.

<JOE> This would
> allow, for example, green screen access to session state information in
> a servlet.  I could in fact have an RPG program that controlled my
> servlet.
</JOE>

Here you would need CORBA, but the as400 is not allowed to do CORBA (marketing
issues of IBM?!). Or a better way would be to switch your business logic to
java, it could be done, I have heared - on non as400 systems its daily
businiess and some guys like me are doing this too on as400 and what should I
say, it works great!!!

If you are stuck with rpg you could use your data queue approach, I use this
too for already implemented modules (but I don't find too much well
modularized ones, often rpg applications are very monolithic!), anyway, using
dataqs is much better than synchronous calls via JNI (scalability and
stability).

<JOE>

> I could submit jobs to batch and identify the JVM.  This job could
> create reports, convert them to spooled files, and then stick the IFS
> file names back into the appropriate session object, without having to
> create and manage data queues.

</JOE>

I would not recommend spoolfiles at all, there is pretty good freware for
generating PDF, it would be nice if IBM would implement the AWT Printclasses
native and the Swing print classes too, this remote AWT stuff is a real
nightmare.

Dieter Bender

> --
> This is the don't use Java  on and around the iSeries / AS400 (JAVA400-L)

mfG

Dieter Bender

DV-Beratung Dieter Bender
Wetzlarerstr. 25