   I have noticed that when an insert fails because of constraints, the
   number is skipped.

   Raul.

   CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 Ashish,

 Correct.  This was added at v5r2, you can't use it before that.

 Also, check out the ROWID.
 http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/info/sqlp/rbafymst80.htm

 Also an important note.  It is possible that the generated numbers are not
 sequential.  I haven't yet found the link with more info, but basically the
 sequence can skip values if multiple jobs are inserting into the same table.
 For performance reasons, the DB reserves a block of numbers for a given job
 doing inserts.

 HTH,
 Charles