> From: Buck
>
> I have heard over and over how fast a mix of Java and RPG can be, but
my
> experience in trying to reuse existing RPG programs via parameterised
> toolbox calls does not support that.  I can get about 3 calls per
second
> on a big 820.

You have a problem.  I can call a program hundreds of times a second,
and that's from my PC to my little model 270.  I included the RPG
program, the Java program and the results at the end of this post.

> I can validate the input with one call, but what goes on the
> panel depends a lot on the underlying data.  I have a 'show me my
> telephone bill online' application in mind.  I extract the stuff
> that shows on the top of the bill (the summary) with one program
> call, I run out of parameters
> when I want to show the monthly charges (phone line, taxes, etc.)  So
> there's another program call for the monthly charges.

Okay, this should be data structure, not individual parameters.  And in
fact, you might want to think about a standardized approach to calling.
That will be made clear in the next section.

> Then I have to show
> the long distance, carrier by carrier.  Because only 64kb is available
> be returned via a parameter list, that requires a stored procedure.

Or a data queue.  Or multiple calls to the same program that doesn't set
on LR.  There are many ways to skin this cat.

> You start to get the idea.  By the time I am done with my particular
mixed
> Java/RPG application, it has taken between 8 and 15 seconds to display
one
> of the various panels in the application.  This is not what I would
call
> blazing speed.

This is insane.  I guarantee I can get much, much better response time
with a decent JSP Model II architecture.  It wouldn't take me but a
couple of days.

> Can somebody explain just how I am supposed to reuse my existing RPG
> investment with decent performance?  Or is 10 second average response
time
> going to be declared 'good enough?'

"Subsecond on a LAN" is my mantra.  Have you tried my demo?  It's
running on a little model 270 and gets subsecond response time locally
and pretty close to that remotely.

http://www.plutabrothers.com/PBDWeb/p1e.html

Joe