David,

in the last 2 years, I have seen 2 diffrent things in the as400 world, I have
never seen before, both related to webSphere installations.
There were single processor machines with WebSphere (mostly without EJBs) and
database on the same box. 4 to 8 huge slow disks and insufficient memory.
This systems were "scaled" by ibm itself for this workload and they even
didn't crawl; the customers were a little bit angry, when they saw their web
application flying on a 2000 Euro (= $) intel box with linux or even Windows.
And I Have seen very expensive big irons, with multiprocessor, huge memory and
balanced storage, all work running on one box and we had to do PWRDWNSYS to
stop WebSphere from eating up all ressources, DMPJVM didn't work, the
WebSphere Admin didn't work, ENDSBS didn't work and ENDJOBABN didn't work.
In my experience the WebSphere implementation on as400 is buggy, we've never
seen such problems with Tomcat or JBoss on AS400 and we've never seen
something like this with WebSphere on NT, AIX, or LINUX. Supporttimes for
such problems with as400 weeks (install latest Cum, install latest Groups,
send me JVM Dump, must work, latest cum...)
One of the reasons for the bugs in as400 might be, that ibm itself doesn't see
a real market for WebSphere on AS400; the full version with all features as
multiple JVMs and load balancing was never available for as400. I've asked
when it will be available at common conferences and at marketing shows and
I've got answers like "never heared of enterprise edition", or speakers at
those conferences didn't know Tomcat.
BTW, the last fact has another drawback for an installation with a single
as400; at the point scalability gets an issue and you need load balancing you
have to change the platform for your app Server. The critical point for
scalability on the high end isn't only the number of processors (6 or 12
might be the same).
The point with the native data access: I've made some benchmarks and load
tests too; I didn't see this advantage. seperated boxes were fastest up to
the bandwith of the communications connection and with growing workload the
separated scenario outperformed the single box.

regards

Dieter

On Montag, 8. März 2004 22:46, David Morris wrote:
> Nathan,
>
> The current upper limit for the iSeries of 32 processors/256G main
> memory is likely to meet most needs business needs. There are a lot of
> costs in a distributed application and those costs are often overlooked.
> A single system is much simpler whether it is an iSeries or other server
> has few points of failure, is much easier to test, and can take full
> advantage of native data access.
>
> David Morris

> ...The dilemma for developers is that broadening the scope of Java
> applications
> will ultimately lead to a requirement for distributed components.
>
> Nathan.

mfG

Dieter Bender

DV-Beratung Dieter Bender