Hi Ivan,

maybe another yellow, or the final red card for me, but lets have a try:

first of all an application container like WebSphere or JBoss or Tomcat needs
the more ressources the more features it has. So JBosss will have a smaller
footprint than WebSphere for example and if JBoss does all I want, I would
prefere JBoss.

second: the applicationservers mentioned above need cpu power and lots of main
memory, best of all would be to make it all resident in main memory, then it
really flies. This ressources are cheapest on Intel Boxes running Linux and
most expensive on as400 running os400. They don't need a strong I/O logic,
where as400 might be best.

third: its better for scalability and ease of use to run each server on its
own box. I've seen some single cpu boxes with database server and application
server on one cpu it didn't run, it crawled.

last of all: my experience with WebSphere on as400 is: its buggy, its a nice
gag, but not ready for production.

For your requirements maybe WebSphere might be the better choice than JBoss +
Tomcat, but for the full Version with loadbalancing you have to run it on
another plattform than os400 anyway (full version not supported). But in my
experience I would prefere to run it on x-series or Linux/Intel based.

Dieter Bender