Balazs,

How do you retrieve database data today? With JDBC and JDOM, you can
put together a simple program very quickly. I don't have a stand alone
example that goes directly from JDBC to XML (I use Hibernate to load a
list) but you should be able to create one with JDOM very quickly. One
trick you can use is to select your data to the xml column names you
need something like:

select rtrim(MYFILE.COLUMNNAME)", "column-name",...

Next create a result set and then retrieve the metadata from the result
set. Use those column names as you iterate through the data to set your
element names with JDOM. You will first create a root Element, then
attach Elements as content to the root Element using the metadata column
names and your result set. You would then attache the root Element to a
Document and create an XMLOutputter to write to a file or whatever makes
sense in your situation.

David Morris

>>> balazs.vojtek@xxxxxxxxxxx 1/29/2004 1:58:53 AM >>>
Hello,

It's a really simply issue: I have to export some data from a single
iSeries file into 2 kinds of various XML formats based on the value of
specified field. I'm wondering whether someone could give me a hint how
begin with the sipliest way. I've checked the classical XML Java API-s
and
also XML4J, but I've found them a bit complicated. Now I'm searching
for
the simpliest solution that would build the DOM structures from the
schemas and add the data from the files into nodes and finally output
the
document. I'm not currently interested using third-party product for
this
purpose.

Thank you for your help

Best Regards