Here, I wrote this last spring for my User Group:

Setting the correct time for Java programs

1) Set the system time - System Value QTIME

System Time may already be set on your AS/400.  If you need to set it,
type:
WRKSYSVAL SYSVAL(QTIME)

Press Enter.  Type a 2 on the option line, press Enter.

Key in the current time in your locale.  Press Enter.

Note:  You will need to change this time for Daylight Savings.

2) Set the Time Offset compared to GMT - System Value QUTCOFFSET

Time Offset may already be set on your AS/400.  If you need to set it,
type:
WRKSYSVAL SYSVAL(QUTCOFFSET)

Press Enter.  Type a 2 on the option line, press Enter.

Key in the offset for your locale.  Press Enter.

Note:  The offset for PST is -8, MST -7, EST -6.  These are the number
of hours compared to GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).

3) Set the Time Zone - SystemDefault.properties file

The file SystemDefault.properties is not supplied with your OS/400. You
have to create it. There are several ways to create this file and enter
the time zone setting. Here is one example:
A. On your PC workstation, add a network drive to the target iSeries
server to the shared root directory (folder). Drill down to the Java400
subdirectory /QIBM/UserData/Java400. Alternatively, use Windows Explorer
to access the Java400 subdirectory.

B. Open the Java400 subdirectory. Click File-> New-> Text Document. Name
the file SystemDefault.txt.

C. Rename the file to SystemDefault.properties. Click OK on the warning
message window.

D. Once the file is on the system in the Java400 subdirectory, open the
file with the Windows-provided Notepad (or equivalent) editor. Add the
time zone statement as described below.  Use the appropriate acronym for
your time zone.
user.timezone=CST
Do not insert a blank on either side of the = character. Save the file,
and then exit the editor.

Note: This file must have a CCSID of either 819 or 437.  If you use the
instructions here, it will have a CCSID of 437.

For Java programs, you must restart the JVM to use this new property.
This means stopping and restarting WebSphere Application Server.
Java uses QTIME, QUTCOFFSET, and the user.timezone property together.

====