First off, you may want to post this message to the Domino400 group:

Domino is MUCH more than just email.  Companies have written complete
applications in/for it.  So the answer to your question is yes it is possible.

Redbooks to check out:
http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg246203.html?Open
http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg246052.html?Open
http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg245345.html?Open