Shannon,

If you're using Notepad for doing any coding, check out UltraEdit
(www.ultraedit.com).

Mike E.

                      "Shannon O'Donnell"

                      <sodonnell@snap-ebo        To:       "Java Programming on
and around the iSeries / AS400"
                      oks.com>                    <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      Sent by:                   cc:

                      java400-l-bounces@m        Subject:  Re: Survey: How do
YOU develop Java on iSeries?
                      idrange.com

                      09/24/2003 10:06 AM

                      Please respond to

                      Java Programming on

                      and around the

                      iSeries / AS400

My java programming comes in spurts. I'll go 3 months without writing any,
and then I'll spend a month writing everything in Java.  Just depends on
the
need at the time.

When I do code in Java, if I want a syntax checker for my code I will use
CODE/400, because it is quick and doesn't require much in the way of setup
or even thought to use. Otherwise, and most of the time, I'll use Notepad
and compile from the DOS or QSH command line (depending on where I'm going
to run the java class from).

For JSPs, I will do those entirely in Notepad and test them from a version
of Tomcat running on my laptop.

The reason I go for the simple tools is because a few years ago I spent an
inordinate amount of time trying to learn Java and also trying to learn an
IDE for Java at the same time and I ended up spending more time figuring
out
how to use the IDE than I did learning to code in Java. After that, I took
class at school and ended up using Joe as my editor (anyone remember that
editor?) and it was so much easier because that required me to code
correctly rather than rely on the IDE to catch my errors.  Didn't make me a
great java programmer, but it did teach me not to rely on editors to catch
my mistakes.

Shannon O'Donnell